Updated on: October 7, 2017
Lungshan Temple of Manka 艋舺龍山寺 is located in the oldest Wanhua aka Manka district, Taipei, Taiwan and was constructed in 1738 dedicated to Goddess of Mercy. At that time, Chinese settlers from Chin chiang, Nan an and Hui an of Fukien arrived in the Manka district, Taipei in search of better lives and being devoted followers of ancient Lungshan temple in the Fukien province built during the seventh century, they decided to consecrate a branch temple naming it after their beloved Lungshan temple for the benefit of all other fellow immigrants to continue with worshipping rituals.
As a result of natural disasters and war bombings, the Lungshan temple was forced to be rebuilt in 1919 which took architect Mr. Wang Yi Shun half a decade to complete his masterpiece – the current Lungshan temple of Manka that stands today.
Lungshan temple occupies a vast plot of land with almost triple that of a normal temple size. Lungshan temple have the usual upturned eaves complete with carvings of delicate dragon, phoenix and other mythical creatures, rooftop sleeve with gold carvings, a pair of dragon bronze columns greets visitors at the front door with intricate stone and wood carvings on the insides of the temple.
Initially a Buddhist temple worshipping Goddess of Mercy, various other deities such as two other Bodhisattvas, eighteen arhans, Matsu goddess God of Literature, Lord Kwan and many others were subsequently enshrined at Lungshan temple when government developments caused the demise of many other temples.
A sign of temple efficacy occurred when the entire Lungshan Temple was bombed in 1945 with only the statue of Goddess of mercy being the last one standing.