Updated on: August 16, 2017
Temple of Five Concubines 五妃廟 was built to commemorate the five noble ladies in Zhu Shugui life – Lady Yuan, Lady Wang, Lady Xiu Gu, sister Mei and sister He.
Zhu Shugui, more commonly known as Prince of Ningjing was the last prince of the Ming dynasty seeking refuge in pro Ming movement in the kingdom of Tungning founded by Ming loyalist, Koxinga. When Manchurian of the Qing dynasty finally arrived at the Kingdom of Tungning, Zhu Shugui went to forewarn his devoted lady companions to escape. Despite being given the choice of freedom, they rather remain loyal to their man and the Ming dynasty by hanging themselves. After Zhu Shugui gave his ladies a proper burial, he chose to take his own life than to succumb to the opposing Qing forces.
In face of such loyalty and devotion, Qing official Liu Shi Qi granted tombstones for the ladies when their graves were discovered in 1746.
A elegant and diginified temple was erected to house the altar and lifelike sculptures of the five ladies to honor their braveness and loyalty in a bid to resist political upheavals.
Visit the temple of five concubines today.