Updated on: June 23, 2017
The Former Old Tainan Magistrate Residence was built in 1900 (year 33 of the Meiji Era). Now it is a Tainan City Municipal Historic Site. The building was nicknamed “The Clock Building”, owing to the emblem relief on the original roof wall which resembled the shape of a clock. The building served as residence for the local Governor, as well a Royal Residence when the Japanese Imperial Family members came to visit. In the history of Taiwan, this was the only building designed for royal residence in Southern Taiwan. Until 1941, about 20 members of Japanese Imperial Family had visited and stayed in the building, outnumbering those who had visited Taipei Guest House, which was the Governor-General Residence during Japanese Occupation. Thus the importance of the building during this colonial period in the history of Taiwan, especially when the Prince Hirohito (later Emperor Showa) stayed overnight in the building during his visit to Taiwan in 1923. This building and the Taipei Guest House are the only remaining residences of Prince Hirohito in Taiwan, while other residences have been already demolished.