Updated on: September 18, 2017
Kaohsiung lighthouse aka Cihou lighthouse is what currently remains as a reminder of the bustling maritime trade of Tue yesteryear.
Cihou lighthouse was erected to act as a navigation system for ships, a very important tool of the maritime industry when Takau harbour first opened to foreign traders in 1863 causing a surge in commercial shipping activities.
During the Japanese occupation, Cihou lighthouse was rebuilt in 1916 to the appearance it is of today.
Despite all these years, Cihou lighthouse stood upright and remained unmoved atop a small cliff with Cihou fort overlooking Cijin and the entire port of Kaohsiung providing an excellent spot for sightseeing during the day.
Cihou lighthouse is a perfect remembrance of the bustling activities of the past which sculpt Taiwan into what it is today.